to bake - Buckwheat Banana Bread
BUCKWHEAT BANANA BREAD
Recipe by Jasmine Hemsley - website
recipe type: to breakfast, to snack
cuisine: vegan, plant based, dairy free, glutenfree
What you need:
290g (2⅓ cups) buckwheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
4 ripe bananas (about 400g), mashed, plus
1 ripe banana, sliced (about 90g)
120ml (1/2 cup) water
1 tsp vanilla extract
60g (1/5 cup) raisins - omit if desired
30g (1/4cup) walnuts - or use pecans or hazelnuts
lightly salted butter, to serve (skip or replace with coconut oil, your favourite vegan spread or nut butter for a vegan option)
Throw in cinnamon and raisins to sweeten and walnuts or hazelnuts for crunch.
For something fancy, whip up the butter ( omit if vegan) to make it fluffy and sprinkle with flaky salt — or serve with olive oil and ricotta or coconut oil or butter.
What to do:
Preheat the oven to 180.C (fan 160.C/gas mark 4). Mix the buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt together in a large bowl.
Mix the mashed bananas, water and vanilla together, then add to the bowl. Mix in the raisins, walnuts and remaining banana slices.
Transfer the mixture to a 750g (11/2 lb) loaf tin lined with baking parchment. Bake for 25 minutes, then turn the tin around and bake for another 15 minutes until the bread is firm-ish to the touch. Allow to cool before slicing, then serve with butter or coconut butter or ricotta.
Sakara’s Coco Banana Bread
3 large bananas, mashed
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1 egg, replace by a flax egg for a vegan version
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup millet flour
3/4 cup almond meal*
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk together the mashed bananas and coconut oil in a large bowl. Add the egg, coconut sugar, vanilla extract, and spices and whisk again.
3.Sprinkle the salt and baking soda over the top, then mix them into the batter. Finally, add the millet flour and almond meal, and give it one final whisk.
4. Pour the batter into a greased 8 x 5-inch loaf pan (we used coconut oil), tapping the pan on the counter to let any air bubbles escape. We topped ours with an additional sliced banana for some presentation points.
5. Bake for 50 minutes, then let cool in the pan before slicing it up.
We like it best chilled in the fridge, then slathered with almond butter and honey.
*If nuts aren’t your thing, We’ve also made this with equal parts spelt flour. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand, We were going for a gluten-free version here.
Coziest Banana Bread
by My New Roots
¼ cup plant milk of your choice (oat, cashew, almond, hemp, rice…)
6 Tbsp. olive oil, butter, ghee, expeller-pressed coconut oil
6 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups mashed ripe bananas (approximately 5 medium bananas)
2 cups whole spelt flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. fine sea salt
1 cup chopped nuts + seeds (I used walnuts, pecans, and pumpkin seeds)
¾ cup / 100g chopped dark chocolate
flaky sea salt, for garnish if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line an 8” x 8” cake pan or loaf pan with baking paper, or lightly oil and dust with flour, shaking out excess.
3. Put the milk, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and bananas in a blender and blend until smooth.
4. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. Add banana mixture and combine using as few stroked as possible. Fold in nuts and chocolate.
5. Pour into a cake pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with flaky salt (if using). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (time varies greatly according to oven – mine takes about an hour). Remove form the oven and let cool completely before slicing.