to make - Vegan Smoked Salmon/Carrot Lox
VEGAN SMOKED ‘SALMON’ CARROT LOX
recipe by : Bridget Malcolm
recipe type: to breakfast, to lunch
cuisine: plantbased, vegan,
WHAT YOU NEED:
FOR THE CARROTS:
4 medium carrots
1/2 tbsp salt
FOR THE MARINADE:
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup low sodium tamari or coconut aminos
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1 sheet toasted nori (seaweed) cut into fine strips or blended until fine
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove stems & wash the carrots throughly.
3. Place them on a baking sheet with lined parchment paper or a silicone mat.
4. Sprinkle them generously with salt while still wet so the salt sticks to the carrots.
5. Bake for 1.5 hours.
6. When the carrots are finished baking, set them aside to cool. Now would be a good time to whip up your marinade. Simply combine all the ingredients and whisk together. Set aside.
7. When the carrots are finished cooling, use a small paring knife to gently cut the carrots into thin strips, the thinner you make them, the better texture you will achieve. Don’t worry about it being perfect!
8. When the carrots are all cut, add them to a jar or other sealable container, pour over the marinade and give them a good stir to ensure all the carrots are covered. Let the carrots marinate for at least 24 hours, I left mine for 36 hours and they came out perfectly! You may want to give them a toss every so often to ensure that all the carrots are getting their fair share of the marinade!
9. Use them to top salads, eat on top on bread with cream cheese, or do like I did and eat them straight out of the jar for a healthy veggie snack.
If you make it I would love to see on @lespetitespestes