To Bake - Warm Winter Oatmeal Carrot Cake
WARM WINTER OATMEAL CARROT CAKE
recipe inspired by: Green Kitchen Stories
recipe type: to breakfast, to dessert,
cuisine: gluten free, vegan, plant based, dairy free
- 2 cups of rolled oats (or any rolled flakes), gluten-free is desired
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger, ground
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, ground
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom, ground
- 1/2 tsp ground vanilla or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt
- 1 1/3 cups thinnly grated raw carrots
- a handful goji berries, dries mulberries, raisins,...
- 1 chia egg; mix 2 tbsp chia seeds of psyllium husk into a small bowl and add 1/3 cup of water. Stir and set a side for 15 min.
- 2 cups of plant based milk; almond or coconut.
- 4 tbsp maple syrup, honey or apple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, room temperature + extra for greasing the pan
- 1 cup walnuts, pecans or nuts or your choice, chopped
- 3/4 cup / 100 g sunflower seeds or seeds of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a baking dish with coconut oil and then set aside.
- Combine the rolled oats, baking powder, spices and salt in a mixing bowl, then add grated carrots and dried berries,... and stir to mix. In a separate bowl, prepare the chia 'egg', add the milk and whisk to combine.
- For the crunchy top layer, put the sweetener, coconut oil, walnuts and sunflower seeds in a small bowl and mix with your fingers to make sure everything is well coated. I love using maple syrup. Just love the flavor.
- Combinethe wet and dry mixture.
- Scoop everything into the baking dish. Sprinkle the crunchy layer on top and bake for 25 – 35 min. When it’s done, the oatmeal should be set and the nuts and seeds lightly browned and crunchy. Leave to cool slightly before serving.
- Optional: Serve with whipped coconut cream, yogurt,....