to make - Lemon-basil aioli w/ Avocado
recipe inspired by: Food 52
recipe type: to lunch, to snack, to dressing
Lemon-basil aioli w/ Avocado
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed to a paste
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups (approximately) of a neutral flavored oil
- 3 to 4 large fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- a slice of sourdough toast
- an avocado
1. Whisk together the lemon juice, zest, egg yolk, and garlic.
2. Whisk in the oil very slowly -- one drop at a time and working up to a thin, steady stream as the mixture starts to thicken and emulsify. You can also whip everything together in a blender or food processor, but aioli made by hand has a better texture.
3. When enough oil is incorporated to reach your desired thickness you can stop adding it, and fold in the basil and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Refrigerate for at least an hour before using to allow the flavors to settle and develop.
5. Toast up your favorite sourdough on a heated grill pan. Remove.
Smear on Aïoli. Add avo slices, some extra shredded basil leaves, sea salt flakes,...
Pack it up! And go!