to raw - Sweet Pea & Pearl Onion Pesto smothered Zucchini Noodles
Sweet Pea & Pearl Onion Pesto smothered Zucchini Noodles
recipe from My New Roots
recipe type: to lunch, to dinner, to serve on the side
Makes 1 large serving or 2 servings as a light lunch or as a side dish
what you need:
2 6″ zucchinis, julienned or spiral cut, preferably organic
24 fresh pearl onions, peeled (substitute frozen if need be)
2 cups organic frozen peas
3 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp maple syrup or 3 drops liquid stevia
pinch himalayan salt or good sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
what to do:
1. Using a spiral noodle slicer or a julienne peeler make your noodles from the zucchinis. Place in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
2. Place the pearl onions in a covered steamer basket over boiling water and steam for 8-10 mins till layers just begin to separate and they appear translucent. (If using frozen pearl onions your steam time will be a little less). Add frozen peas and steam for 2 minutes longer, stirring at the one minute mark to ensure even cooking.
3. Remove from heat and pour half the mixture into a small bowl and the other half into your food processor–be sure to divide the onions evenly.
4. To the food processor, add the olive oil, lemon juice, mint, salt, pepper and maple syrup. Process until creamy but not completely smooth, leaving a little texture.
5. Now lets put it altogether. Pour the creamy pea and onion pesto over the noodles, scraping the bowl clean with a spatula. Using two forks toss the noodles well to coat. Transfer to serving dish or divide into two bowls. Top with remaining steamed peas and pearl onions. Garnish your bowl(s) with fresh mint and freshly ground pepper. Enjoy:)
Note: This is yummy as is, with the mildly warm pea and onion pesto but it’s also delish at room temperature. If this dish stands for more than two hours the zucchini will release some of it’s juices and become a little more tender. It’s still quite tasty this way but is best if eaten within one hour. Store the pesto separate from the noodles if you are making it ahead. And…if you share this dish between 2 servings maybe top it with some sliced avocado to round it out a little more. Enjoy:)